Monday, September 7, 2009

Meatloaf & Au Gratin Potatoes

In an effort to fulfill a reader request (Lindsay), I'll try to feature an easy meal recipe at least once a week. I love to find recipes that are easy and can be put together in advance so you can just throw them in the oven when you get home from work. Meatloaf is one of those meals that I make a lot because it's easy, I can put it together the night before and store it in the fridge, and Levi loves its heartiness. So without further ado, here's the recipe:

Ingredients
1 lb. beef (I like to use 85/15 for this; any leaner makes it too dry)
1/2 cup crumbled crackers
2 eggs
1 small can tomato sauce (8 oz)
1 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp ground pepper
4 or 5 tbs ketchup
chopped onions or other veggies, if desired

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, scrambling the raw eggs in a smaller bowl before pouring in. I usually leave the thyme and pepper for last and I just shake some over the mixture (I don't actually measure) and then mix it all together again. Spread the meaty mixture into a baking dish and spread a layer of ketchup over the top (again, I don't actually measure). Bake at 350 for approx. 1.5 hours or until the edges are black and there are cracks in it.

I usually make some kind of potatoes to go with this meal, and lately they have been Betty Crocker's au gratin potatoes. They're easy, delicious, and almost everything you need comes in the box, just add milk, water, and butter.

I made this meal last night and it was delicious! Don't forget the crescent rolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment