Saturday, December 4, 2010

Homemade is Better: Pizza Lunchable

I'm always looking for new lunch ideas for Levi because he packs his lunch every day for work and it rarely varies. Plus, there are several things one must consider when packing a lunch for an EMT.

There must be things that can be eaten on the go without being heated (sandwiches, chips, granola bars, etc.), there can be things like leftovers that need heating (but there's no guarantee that Levi will have time to heat them in a gas station, so that can't be all you pack) and then there are other things that can be eaten on the go that are not sandwiches (we all get sick of those), like lunchables.

Well, since I get a considerable amount of pleasure from saving money and I like to cook/prepare lunches for Levi, I decided to get creative. We were spending about $30 just on lunchables per month, plus probably somewhere around $10-$20 on granola bars, carmel and apple packs, etc., if not more.

The first thing to go were the lunchables. Levi didn't think they tasted that great, plus he said his mom always told him he couldn't eat them because they have too much salt. Since the pizza lunchables are what he usually eats, I had to find a recipe (of course he couldn't like the meat and cheese ones, that would be easy to duplicate). Luckily, I found a great recipe HERE. It makes a tastier, cheaper version of the pizza lunchable, and I can double it to make 5 lunchables at once (in only an hour and 15 min.).

I made the first batch of lunchables today, and I'm looking forward to hearing Levi's review after work. I can almost guarantee you he will love it. Plus, since I made multiple at one time, he can quickly pack them himself in the divided ziploc tupperware I found.


Also today, I sent Levi a small tupperware of ranch dressing with a baggie of baby carrots and a small tupperware of carmel sauce with a Gala apple (his favorite). This will take the place of the pre-packaged carmel and apple packs that he formerly enjoyed (at less than the $1-$2 per pack we paid before!).

It's really kind of ridiculous how excited I get over all this. Next up, homemade granola bars.

2 comments:

  1. This is cool! We're getting into growing/cooking our own food in 2011~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily- That is so neat! Levi is so blessed to have such a thoughtful, sweet wife!! We should talk about money saving tips!! I'd love to learn a few from you :) I had a really nice time this morning! I so glad you were able to come!

    ReplyDelete