Friday, November 26, 2010

A Thanksgiving to Remember

This Thanksgiving was unlike any other. Since Levi had to work from noon to midnight on Thanksgiving, I decided to ride along with him on the ambulance. Thankfully, the company Levi works for lets friends and family members do this whenever they want, as long as they sign up in advance.

I was nervous at first, since I didn't know what kind of patients we might get or how things would go on scene, etc. Our first call came after about an hour of waiting. It was a woman who was having a miscarriage (this was actually a good thing, considering her situation). I stayed in the front cab of the ambulance, but listened as Levi and his partner, Chad, hooked her up to moniters, etc. in the back.

After our first call, we were busy for the next several hours and I loosened up enough to walk into people's houses, sit in the back of the ambulance with patients and follow them into the hospital. The miscarriage was followed by a woman having thoughts of suicide, a young man who was dead when we got there (thankfully, the fire department had arrived first and we didn't have to go in and see him), a woman with "back pain" who had had her pain pills stolen and finally an older woman with a dislocated hip.

Although none of the calls were life-threatening or particularly exciting to Levi, I found it all very exciting. Levi let me turn on the lights and sirens, as well as push the "howler" button that makes everything vibrate (typically used at intersections). I must say I got pretty good at it all. I think I'll have to ride again.

No comments:

Post a Comment