Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Whirlwind of a Week

Whew. So much has happened this last week and I didn't even have a second to blog about any of it. So here it goes.

Last week started out like most other weeks, except we had
a house guest who arrived on Saturday. Her name was Anna, and she was part of a mission team from IN that came to our church to help do service projects around Norman. She lived with us until yesterday, when she left to go back home. I had a great time getting to know Anna and, sadly, it seems like we were becoming comfortable friends just as she was leaving.

Not only did the mission team do service projects during the days last week, but they also helped our church run a VBS in the evenings. I planned and lead the arts and crafts class during VBS, and it was a lot of fun. It was especially uplifting that several kids from a trailer park where the team had been working came to VBS each night and they loved learning about Jesus.

I should also mention that I fall more in love with our church family every time we get together. It was awesome to spend so much time with them last week. I think that the mission team did more than help people in need around Norman; they brought our church together in a way I haven't seen before. It was great, and I'm excited to see those bonds continue to develop. If you don't know much about the church Levi and I have been attending for the last few years and are in love with, check it out at www.UniversityFellowshipChurch.com.

Tuesday of last week was a big day. My dad's colon surgery unexpectedly got moved from Friday, so he went ahead and had the procedure to take care of his diverticulitis problem. The surgery went great and he just got home from the hospital today.

Also on Tuesday, Levi's great grandmother passed away. She was 93 and a wonderful woman. I will never forget her beautiful snow white hair (not a single gray strand!) and her unconditional love of OU. She was an especially big OU football fan and knew everything about each player. I've known "Grandma" since I was 16, and when I told her I had decided to go to OU after high school, she said it was because I wanted to get a good education (to her, a good football team meant a good school overall).

Grandma saw more in her lifetime than I think any of us every will. She remembered when it took a whole day to get to Oklahoma City from Edmond and her family was the first in Edmond to buy a car. We went to her memorial service today and it was really beautiful. It was truly a celebration of her life and we are all so happy to know she's with God and her late husband in Heaven. The only picture I have of her is from our wedding day. She's the one on the right in the wheelchair:


On top of everything I've mentioned, I have started working summer hours at work, which are 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. with half days on Friday. This made for an extra busy week considering VBS was from 6-8 every night. There were times I didn't think I would survive last week, but now that I've had some rest, I'd say it was pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment