Friday, January 8, 2010

Onion Fiasco

Last night marks the first cooking mess-up I've made in quite some time. And let me tell you, it was a big one. I guess I was overdue. Anyway, I had decided to make beef stew and since several recipes I had seen called for an envelope of dry onion soup, I thought I'd add it to mine even though the recipe I chose didn't call for it.

Well, I'd never used dry onion soup before and for some reason I thought it was just onion powder. Boy, was I wrong. Did you know there are actually DRY ONIONS in there that turn into real onions when they get wet?? I sure didn't. You don't have to be around me long to know that I HATE onions. I will not eat them in any way, shape or form. I would rather scrap the whole dinner and eat a PB&J sandwich.

Having poured in the dry soup mix before realizing the above, I became mortified. After considering throwing away the stew meat that was now covered in onions, I realized I could salvage this meal. I carefully scooped the meat out of the pot and put it in a bowl and then poured the broth through a strainer into a bowl so the onions would separate from the liquid. Then, I painstakingly washed the onions off each individual piece of meat and returned the meat and liquid to the pot.

Luckily, after adding the potatoes and carrots, this became just the stew I had been hoping for - sans onions. Needless to say, I will NEVER be using dry onion soup again unless I'm not planning to eat the dish.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I LOVE using dry onion soup mix in recipes! I always put it in the crock pot with pot roast and I am not even a huge onion fan:)

    ReplyDelete