Thursday, September 26, 2019

A Very Dr. Seussical Cancer

I’m just gonna’ leave this right here...

It came for me one August day 
In a town called OKC. 
Cancer was callin’ my name, 
It said “hi” to me. 

We’d seen a bunch of docs already, 
Figurin’ just what was wrong. 
I’d become so short of breath, 
I could hardly get along. 

Well that was just the beginnin’, 
Of scans and sticks and draws. 
The docs, they kept on orderin’ them, 
To find out all my flaws. 

‘Till one day they saw a tumor, 
On an x-ray of my chest. 
What the heck is that thing there? 
They didn’t have to guess. 

Lil’ man’s name is Timmy Tumor. 
He’s my little passenger. 
He’s closer than my family is, 
Inside me, as it were. 

But Timmy is a menace! 
He makes me feel like shite. 
For such a very cute lil’ thing, 
He’s just not very nice. 

So he will have to go now - 
It’s non-negotiable. 
But I can’t just simply kick him out - 
It’s become intractable. 

And now fin’lly the docs agree, 
Say Timmy has run his course. 
We’ll surgically remove him soon, 
If needed, use some force! 

But the first step is to sit here, 
Poison drips into my vein. 
Mourning my beard that soon will leave, 
And fanning hope for gain. 

Like one day this’ll all be gone, 
I’ll return to normalcy. 
This will all feel like a dream, 
End of February. 

I’ll be back on top of mountains! 
I’ll drive red fire trucks! 
I’ll climb my stairs without the huffing, 
Feel like a million bucks! 

I’ll be back up on that horse real soon, 
And you’ll all come to see, 
There was a reason for the troubles, 
That did just come to me. 

You’ll view the love and peace and joy, 
That came to many lives, 
Even in midst of strife and death, 
As I strove to survive. 

So hopefully that is a “why”, 
In the midst of my present plight, 
That pulls me across the finish line, 
And sustains me through this fight. 

Cause I don’t know how much it’ll take, 
Seein’ through to the end, 
Till things are back like they should be, 
Healed body on the mend. 

Obviously my mind should not be left unsupervised at odd hours of the night after reading Dr. Seuss to Nora and Wyatt at bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment