Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Molly the Therapy Dog

I'm so proud of my furry-faced hound! We've been going to therapy dog classes together since June 12, and she passed her certification test today. Several months ago, my neighbors suggested we put Molly through therapy dog classes because of her easy disposition, and it turned out to be a great fit.



For those of you who don't know, there's a difference between therapy and service dogs. Service dogs are those who live with and serve one person with special needs and therapy dogs live with their normal owners and visit places like hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc. to bring joy to the people there.

At a nursing home, Molly might just work the room and let people pet her. At a hospital, she may walk down the hall alongside someone who needs to get out of bed but needs an incentive. At rehab places, she may have people brush her or throw a ball for her. At schools, children might practice reading to her because dogs don't judge those who can't read well. There are seemingly endless ways Molly can help others, and I'm excited to be a part of that with her!

4 comments:

  1. Amazing! I really want train a therapy dog someday! I will probably be asking you for pointers someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for you to be doing this! Gary & I are into hospice and there are so many lonely people in the nursing homes. Whenever I do bring one of my grandchildren they love it! :)

    Judy Morgan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH I love this!! I've always wanted to do this with Boomer!!! He was a little hyper around new people when he was younger but I think I definitely want to look into it now because he's so mellow.

      Delete
  3. Way to go Molly!
    Brenda D

    ReplyDelete