Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Sticks

This week, I've been traveling all over northeastern Oklahoma telling teachers about Professional Oklahoma Educators. One of the things I love about my job is that, during August, I get to visit tiny towns that literally only have a school and houses. These are places no one would ever have a reason to visit, and the school employees are always excited to see a new face (because it's been so long since they have!).

It's also fun for me because I see things that are part of everyday life for those towns' residents but so very different from my everyday life. It gives me a more well-rounded view of Oklahoma, and I have a love of and appreciation for these towns because of it.

Here are some sights from the week so far that are different from my everyday:

Welcome to Olustee, OK (What? You've never heard of it? Me either)

I like to call this the small town Wal-mart. Grocery, hardware and feed store (far sign) all in one. 
Peggs, OK

Deer! Watts, OK

Tomorrow I hit the road again to head to Timberlake and then Woodward on Friday. Pray for safety!





No comments:

Post a Comment