Thursday, April 8, 2010

Crass Crises

Levi is winding up his second week on the streets in an ambulance and I must say he is racking up quite the story list. With him working nights and me days, our time together (about 30 min/day) mostly consists of a few cuddles and a run-down of the calls he got the night before. I've been shocked to learn that about half of the calls he's gotten have been completely unnecessary. Feel free to enjoy some of the ridiculousness as I have:
  • a man calls 911 because he has a headache and ran out of aspirin
  • a man calls 911 to pick up his mentally-ill wife who keeps calling out his name so he can get some sleep
  • a man calls 911 because the bandaids from his surgery incisions came off
  • a woman calls 911 because her blood pressure is low but her bp seems normal when the ambulance arrives (she still wants to go to the hospital)
Despite the understandable frustration of these needless calls, Levi has really been enjoying his job. In fact, he loves it. Here are some more exciting things he's encountered:
  • a man got his hand caught in a vice and the bone was showing
  • 3 attempted suicides
  • 2 overdoses
  • getting to speak Spanish to a woman who knew no English (he's still waiting to get a German-speaking patient)
And I'm sure the list will continue....

1 comment:

  1. I laughed when I read this. There are a bunch of paramedics that always come into Starbucks, and Mitchell tells me funny stories that they tell him (similar to what you said).

    ReplyDelete